Thank you for participating JPA Free Outdoor Cultural Program!!
We had to limit the capacity up to 200 people per day this pandemic year,
Go to the webpages for the JPA event on Govenors Island 2018 & 2019!
JPA’s outdoor cultural program ”Dance, Music ＆ Kimono” this year introduces 10 different variation of Japan’s performances, lectures and workshops! Some of our performance programs are designed to enjoy the stage shows, and some others welcome participants to join! The perfect green environment on Governors Island also enhances your pleasure of engaging in some exercise activities with Japanese music and dance!
For our lecture sessions, Frisode kimono dressing demonstration and some pieces of traditional full costume Japanese dance will be performed with the detailed descriptions of hundreds of years of history. Our workshops for the Japanese fun techniques using hands such as Furoshiki Wrapping, Spinning Tops, and other toys give you a good sense of the Japanese craftsmanship! Some of our programs require reservations for the seats to avoid too much density in the venues.
This program is supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council.
Because of the COVID safety policy, JPA has to limit the venue capacity up to 200 people each day. We will use Eventbrite to secure the participants’ booking and we may have to control the number of viewers by our staff members at the site.
May 22 Go on as scheduled
May 23 Go on as scheduled
May 29 CANCELED DUE TO WEATHER
May 30 CANCELED DUE TO WEATHER
May 31 Go on as scheduled
We require advance booking through Eventbrite!
We have 5 program days. Each day has different sessions and schedule!
Check our program details at this webpage and make your selection(s)!
Please click “eventbite” below and register for the program!
Don’t forget to keep your tickets handy, either in the Eventbrite app or print them out and bring them with you!
Registration starts at12 PM noon on May 22, 23, 29, 30, and at 10 AM on May 31 (Memorial Day).
Please come to Nolan Park our venue on Governors Island as earlier as possible around 12 pm noon in order to avoid congestion.
In case if you or your accompanying guests cannot come to the event, please cancel you or your guests’ booking(s). We would like to give the spot(s) for people on the waitlist.
If it rains, program cancellation may happen. We will notify you by email at least one day in advance.
Looking forward to seeing you at our programs on Governors Island!
Furisode Kimono Model Entry Form
Those who are interested in submitting the entry, please access the link below！
JPA Free Outdoor Cultural Program has 10 kinds of programs. Each day, the program content is different.
Please check the program info on JPA website carefully and select the date you would like to attend.
- On the 22nd, 29th, and 31st, programs are oriented more for enrolling and participating in the activities. (Each of these 3 days has slightly different program content & schedule)
Dance with Japanese Pop Songs, Enka Band Performance, Awa Odori (Dance), Gujo Odori (Dance),Issuiku (YiShuiKong) Exercise, Yukata Casual Summer Kimono Workshop, Furoshiki Wrapping Workshop, Spinning Tops (Koma) Workshop
- On the 23rd and 30th, the events are more for viewing such as cultural demonstrations and lectures.
Furisode Kimono Dressing Demonstration, Yukata Casual Summer Kimono Workshop, Nihon Buyo (Traditional Japanese Dance)
Please check our programs schedule for each of 5 days! (May 22, 23, 29, 30, 31)
- Under the still on-going COVID-19 circumstances, Governors Island Ferry requires reservation. Please come to the Island by making the reservation for the ferry ride online.
- JPA’s event this year is a cultural program and unlike the summer festival we had in 2019, Japanese food vendors are not included in our program. Please bring your own lunch (bento) or purchase some food from Governors Island food vendors or restaurants.
- Our program’s venue is only at Nolan Park this year. Please note that there will be no dance performance show on top of Outlook Hill.
- Please read the Covid Plan!
JPA Covid Plan
Please read the below linked Governors Island’s Covid Policies before visiting the Island.
For those participating in JPA’s programs, there are additional Covid plans other than the general policies by Governors Island. Please read below:
- Those who desire to participate in JPA’s programs, please come to Nolan Park, our venue on Governors Island. Please check your temperature at one of the tents marked as “Information.” If no problem, you will obtain a sticker. Please attach the sticker on your body at an easily visible place. Those who with stickers will be able to participate in the program.
- If you are only observing the event (with reasonable social distancing), the sticker is not required.
- Upon making a circle for Bon Odori dancing, the number of participants will be limited. Please follow the instructions from our staff members.
- Upon touching the tools and toys used in our workshops, please wipe them with the hand sanitizer provided nearby. Please use the hand sanitizer for your hands as well or use the plastic gloves provided.
To go to Governors Island, ferry reservation is necessary. Please find the information at the page below. You can find the ferry ride prices, schedule and other information!
Direction to Nolan Park:
Nolan Park is 5 min walk from the Ferry terminal on Governors Island. From the terminal walk up to the end of the street and take the left passage. Walk along with the street, you will reach Nolan Park.